What is the Amigos School Program?
Amigos is an inclusion program focusing on youth with intellectual disabilities, but open to all youth who experience barriers to inclusion.
The Amigos program uses peer support and mentorship through matching:
Amigos – students who face barriers to inclusion, together with
Amigo Connectors – students who are well connected and supportive of others.
- Guiding Principles
- The Amigos program is flexible and can be delivered in a manner to meets the needs that exist within the culture of your school.
- The 4 key guiding principles to keep in mind are:
- Focus on equality and age appropriateness.
- Differences are celebrated.
- All students participate fully.
- Student leaders have strong support from educators.
- Who Benefits?
- Young school-aged individuals with barriers to inclusion benefit from the intentional relationships of peers in their school community.
- Young school-aged individuals who would like to volunteer to take on a leadership role by connecting with peers learn that their efforts do make a difference in creating inclusive places!
- It's fun AND accessible!